The Department of Economics was started in the year 1952 with the introduction of B.A Degree course in Economics and was elevated to the status of Post Graduate Department in the year 1965 with the introduction of M.A Degree course in Economics. With the sanctioned student strength of 390, it is the biggest department in the college and has 9 faculty members. The Department is equipped with a separate library with a collection of more than 1200 books and has subscribed to 10 national journals. The faculty members are actively engaged in various research activities. The Department has been following various students support programs including tutorial system, remedial teaching, PTS meetings, peer teaching, debates and seminars besides bridge courses and value added programmes. The department has produced commendable results in the University examinations over the years.